The Council is a statutory body established under the Victorian Alpine Resorts (Management) Act 1997. It reports to the Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change, the Hon Liliana (Lily) D'Ambrosio MP.
The functions of the ARCC include:
- To review and co-ordinate the implementation of the Alpine Resorts Strategic Plan
- To monitor the development and implementation of Strategic Management Plans for each alpine resort
- To co-ordinate, in conjunction with Tourism Victoria, established under the Tourism Victoria Act 1992, the overall promotion of alpine resorts
- To attract investment for the improvement of the alpine resorts.
- To plan for and facilitate the establishment, development, promotion, management and use of alpine resorts in accordance with the object of this Act
- To undertake research into alpine resort issues
- To liaise with and encourage the co-operation of all State and local government authorities, industries, communities and other persons involved in the development, promotion, management and use of alpine resorts
- To make recommendations to the Minister on matters related to the provision and improvement of services and facilities in alpine resorts.
Council has adopted the Victorian Government’s vision within the Alpine Resorts Strategic Plan 2012:
'Victoria’s alpine resorts will be vibrant, growing and sustainable places, delivering alpine recreational and tourism experiences that are available to all’.
We aim to drive responsible use of Victoria's Alpine Resorts by:
- Strategic positioning of, and advocacy for, alpine resorts and the broader alpine industry
- Developing strong and co-operative stakeholder partnerships, through programs and projects
- Building knowledge of their unique values, assets and opportunities
- Promoting alpine tourism to grow visitation
- Fostering proactive environmental and cultural stewardship
- Working closely with Alpine Resort Management Boards, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources, Tourism Victoria, Parks Victoria and other land managers.